Friday, July 10, 2009

Twitter

When I first heard about using Twitter in the classroom I was pretty skeptic.  I really had a hard time visualizing how it could possibly be a productive, educational experience.  Actually, to be honest, I'm still pretty skeptical about Twitter for non-educational uses, buutttt that's not my focus here.  As it turns out, Twitter in the classroom is pretty cool.  I especially liked the possibilities it offered for discussions.  I think it could be pretty useful in engaging all students in the classroom without having to worry about time constraints and allowing even the shy students to contribute.  I never thought I'd admit it, but I think it would be pretty cool to implement in my own classroom.  

4 comments:

  1. Who knows, Kathryn...maybe you'll be able to experiment with Twitter for your ED 504 lesson plan/teach. Here's one source for some possible inspirations, and we have more on our CTools site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Katie, I totally agree. I am not even good at keeping up with my email much less blogs and twitter,BUT.... it is showing potential. I think that there are great possibilities in the classroom. I think it is especially big with shy students. I wonder how it would work with Math and Physics. I think it could potentially pull out even more involvement because it is a tough topic that sometimes makes people uneasy. Maybe twitter could be safe zone for students to question things and figure them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie!

    I agree that it could be a great tool for facilitating discussion among students, especially when there are a few big talkers and a lot of shy students. I think, however, that I wouldn't want twitter to be an in-class activity, but rather an out-of-class continuation of discussions and an opportunity for students to investigate tangents, etc. While I understand the importance of offering non-talkers tools for participating in class, I also feel like it's really important for students to learn how to verbally communicate, even if it isn't their favorite thing...good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,
    I definitely share in your skepticism of twitter in the classroom. I see the positives of if it being a way for students to communicate in class that may not have otherwise. At the same time however I think it could contribute to technology hindering kids ability to communicate effectively in person.

    ReplyDelete