I stopped at a McDonald's, and as I was leaving I passed by the playroom, but instead of the jungle-gym play equipment that I remember from growing up, I saw computer/touchscreen games. The only remotely active toy I saw in there were two bikes attached to a computer screen for some type of simulation game. I was in shock! I wanted to take a picture, but there were kids playing in the room and I thought that would probably make me look like a creeper. But I really wish it was something this class could have seen.
As hopeful as I am for the opportunities for technology in learning, seeing this made me kind of sad. What happened to good ol physical activity and interaction with other kids? I imagine that given the amount of technology kids are submersed in, they are only marketing towards obvious interests. I suppose that there might also be an argument for creating a learning opportunity everywhere and anyplace, even McDonald's. And maybe I'm just being nostalgic over the room filled with germ infested hard plastic tunnels? Either way, it really made me think about how much things have changed for kids in terms of technology. While I'm not sure I think replacing play equipment with computers is the best thing, I think it really drives home the importance of teacher's having knowledge and experience with technology because in one way or another, it's here to stay.
Great post, Kathryn...how nice it is that even on vacation you're thinking about blog topics!
ReplyDeleteI would venture to guess that this observation you made in this unlikely spot says some important things about what kinds of experiences you see as being important even for old-timers like 16 year olds ;-) Keep thinking about what those experiences might be, and use your observation time to hone your list. You've got to make room for what's important to you wherever possible...that's how your students will see your passions and will take inspiration from you.
This op/ed piece by Alison Gopnik from the 8-16-09 NY Times might interest you, Kathryn.
ReplyDelete